Who are we?
At Seccl, we’re on a mission to rebuild the infrastructure of investments and advice. We provide the technology that allows people to access financial markets – buying and selling investments and holding them in tax wrappers like ISAs and pensions.
Our software allows ambitious fintechs to quickly get to market with innovative investment or advice products – and helps financial advisers and investment managers to build stronger, more valuable businesses, by operating their own investment platform.
Ultimately, we want to create a world where everybody can access the financial markets, or find the help they need, more easily and affordably than ever.
We are part of the Octopus Group – an innovative, £12.5bn+ group of companies that’s on a mission to breathe new life into energy and financial services, and improve the lives of millions of people.
About the role
We are looking for an enthusiastic and experienced Engineering Manager to join our fantastic team and help scale our engineering function during an exciting period of growth.
The right candidate will do this by building strong product teams and supporting their developers and processes. You will play a key role in the continued development of our strong, psychologically safe engineering culture of continual learning, trust, empowerment and experimentation.
It is unlikely that you will be hands-on with code, but you will need enough technical experience to contribute to technical discussions and be able to empathise with the technical team.
What will you be doing?
On a day-to-day level, you’ll be:
- Building and enabling great product teams through personal development and line management of engineers
- Ensuring we have the right technical skills in the team to tackle the challenges the business is solving
- Recruiting and onboarding new team members
- Working closely with product managers and other key stakeholders to ensure timely delivery of value to our clients
- Championing a culture of strong modern engineering and agile practices, such as automated testing and small, frequent deploys to production
- Working with senior stakeholders to deliver cross-team initiatives that contribute to our foundations for growth and success such as training, process - improvement, tech blogs
- Contributing to and developing appropriate KPIs and metrics that enable teams to continuallyimprove
Who are we looking for?
You’ll be someone who…
- Loves to develop engineers and their teams and create an enabling environment for them to thrive
- Is experienced at working with high performing engineering teams that deliver high quality value
- Is collaborative and can see the bigger picture at a systems level as well as the detail
- Is comfortable in a fast-paced, ever changing and improving development environment
- Can work with stakeholders across the breadth and depth of the business to influence change, enable and unblock issues
- Has strong communication and leadership skills
- Is a curious and continuous learner who develops themselves as well as others
- Loves to build great products with scale, security, resilience and a great customer experience
How do we work?
We work in both Scrum and Kanban depending on the squads’ preference, with ceremonies including daily standups, refinement, retrospectives and reviews.
We use Node.js with Typescript deployed on AWS Lambda, Mongo Atlas, and React on the front end.
Our culture and working environment
We’re a group of around 100 people on a purpose-driven mission to allow anyone to invest. We’re a regulated technology business with the culture and substance to shake things up.
We are proud to cultivate a culture first, human environment and genuinely listen to our people about what matters to them most. As a result, we’re proud we’ve cultivated a transparent and inclusive environment that encourages diversity of thought, challenge and experimentation.
We have offices in Bath and Edinburgh, and a satellite office in London. We’re working as a hybrid team supporting each of our people to choose how they work best. We’ve always been supportive of flexible working that focuses on delivery and impact, rather than hours worked.
We offer a generous blend of benefits for the things that really matter to our people, including:
- 27 days holiday + bank holidays + day off on your birthday
- 6% employer pension contribution, private health cover, GP online and life assurance
- Enhanced parental leave and flexibility to integrate your home and work life in a trusted environment
- Health and wellbeing initiatives including free therapy, mental health support and time off, and access to the Outliers wellbeing community.
- Strong financial wellbeing focus including access to Octopus Moneycoach, Octopus share investment plan and Seccl invest (our own platform for you to manage your investments)
- Perkbox – range of discounts and perks including free weekly coffee, gym and retail discounts
- Commitment to continuous learning with free access to over 10,000 on-line training courses
Like what you see?
Just send your CV to email@example.com and Karoline or Janette from our people team will be in touch.